Books to Read!
- Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
- Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
- Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
- Jamberry by Bruce Degen
- Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
- Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
- In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
- Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett
- Stone Soup by Marcia Brown
- Strega Nona by Tomi dePaola
- The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
- We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past by Jacqueline Woodson
Check out Festivals and Events happening in June around the state. The summer months in South Carolina have lots to do and see!
- Conway Riverfest – Conway (Horry County)
- Party in the Pines – Whitmire (Newberry County)
- Ridge Peach Festival – Trenton (Edgefield County)
- South Carolina Peach Festival – Gaffney (Cherokee County)
- South Carolina Festival of Flowers – Greenwood (Greenwood County)
- Watermelon Festival – Hampton (Hampton County)
Read & Rhyme
Kate Salley Palmer
Kate Salley Palmer was born in Orangeburg and graduated from USC. She was the first full-time editorial cartoonist in South Carolina, starting in 1978 and winning many awards in her career. In 1984 she began writing and illustrating children's books, and in 1998, started Warbranch Press with her husband. Perhaps one of the most well-known books is Palmetto – Symbol of Courage which tells the story of South Carolina's state tree. The third grade at Ashley Hall school in Charleston was so inspired by Kate's book that they wrote an original play, complete with music, based on the story of the little palmetto log fort on Sullivan's Island. Kate and her husband Jim, a retired Clemson University professor live near Clemson, SC. On being an author, Kate has said, “I became a writer because I started to read at a very young age.”
Farmer's markets and roadside markets are a great way to find fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables. They can also be fun places for children to explore and learn about different foods grown in South Carolina. Be sure to look for farmer's markets in your area throughout the summer!
- Get Set4K.org: June - Check out this month by month guide to school readiness.
- Reading is Fundamental Monthly Activity Calendar: June - This monthly activity calendar provides engaging reading and writing activity suggestions to last a month! (Also available in Spanish)
- Literacy Center Education Network - The Play & Learn center has lots of online activities for learning to read while the ReadToday!Net section features hundreds of free printable lessons.
- ChooseMyPlate for Preschoolers – An easy way to meal plan for a healthy preschooler!